By Jim Wiese
Dig into the technological know-how of precedent days and unearth striking discoveries!
* have you puzzled the place paper comes from, who made the 1st identified maps, or how the traditional Egyptians have been in a position to construct the pyramids?
* do you want to make your individual sundial, detect the best way to discover earthquakes, or discover ways to write in hieroglyphics?
* Are you searching for nice principles to your subsequent technological know-how reasonable undertaking?
should you spoke back "Yes" to any of those questions, then old technological know-how is for you! From Greek lighthouses and Roman bridges to chinese language kites and Mesopotamian cleaning soap, you are going to examine the various maximum medical discoveries and the folks who brought them to the realm. Dozens of fun-packed actions assist you see for your self how the earliest people cultivated crops, why tools make diversified sounds, how fireworks get their explosive energy, and masses extra. all the initiatives are secure and straightforward to do, and all you would like is daily stuff from round the condo. So step again in time and take an grand trip with historic technology!
Read or Download Ancient Science. 40 Time-Traveling, World-Exploring, History-Making Activities for Kids PDF
Best children's ebooks books
At Darkham Academy, the academics are creepy, monsters lurk within the lab, and your dorm room is haunted! are you able to continue to exist the 1st day of faculty and end your homework on time? each TWISTED trips® image novel helps you to regulate the motion by way of picking out which route to stick with. Which twists and turns will your trip take?
This booklet relays authentic information of the assault on Pearl Harbor in 1941 via a number of debts of the development. Readers examine information throughout the perspective of a U. S. Soldier at Pearl Harbor, a jap army commander, and a Hawaiian employee close to the army base. This publication deals possibilities to match and distinction a number of narrative views within the textual content whereas collecting and reading information regarding an ancient occasion.
- Just a Little Later with Eevo & Sim
- Pun and Games. Jokes, Riddles, Daffynitions, Tairy Fales, Rhymes, and More Word Play for Kids
Additional info for Ancient Science. 40 Time-Traveling, World-Exploring, History-Making Activities for Kids
The water clock works because liquids ﬂow at a constant rate out of a small hole. The Greek clepsydra water clock used water-ﬁlled cylinders. When water dripped through the cylinders, a pointer moved and marked the hour on a graduated scale. All timing devices, from the water clock to the digital watch, operate because of the fundamental principal that a regular pattern or cycle operates at a constant rate. In a water clock, the drops of water occur at a known rate. In a grandfather clock, it’s the constant swing of a pendulum that is used to tell time.
What do you hear? 6. Move the pencils so that they are 4 inches (10 cm) apart. What do you hear this time? Is the sound the same or different than the ﬁrst sound? Explain. qxd 12/13/02 2:33 PM Page 51 7. Move the pencils so that they are 12 inches (30 cm) apart. What do you hear this time? Is the sound the same or different from the ﬁrst sound? Explain. More Fun Stuff to Do Try moving the pencils to different locations. How does increasing and decreasing the distance between the pencils affect the pitch of the sound?
7. Tape one cardboard triangle along the 12:00 line on the sundial base so that it is perpendicular to the base. Use the protractor to make sure that the triangle is exactly 90 degrees to the base. 8. Take your sundial outside on a sunny day. Use the compass to align your sundial so that it points north, as shown below. Compare the time on your sundial to the real time. How accurate is it? More Fun Stuff to Do This sundial will be more accurate at latitudes from 40° N to 50° N. If you live outside of those latitudes, how can you correct your sundial?